SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tornado

4 posters

Go down

Tornado Empty Tornado

Post  Dan214sqn Tue 22 Jan 2013, 08:21

Hi Guys

Does anyone make a GOOD kit of the GR4 in 1/48 scale???

Dan214sqn
Dan214sqn

Back to top Go down

Tornado Empty Re: Tornado

Post  scotthldr Tue 22 Jan 2013, 09:33

Airfix did a GR4/4A kit a few years back but I'm not sure how accurate it was, most of the GR4's I've seen built seem to stem from the Italeri IDS kit(which I know is the most accurate in 1/48) with Paragon and Flightpath GR4 conversion sets. Although Paragon are out of business their Tornado sets frequently appear on Ebay.

JamesV9820 built one not that long ago so he would be the man to ask for pointers
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamus Wed 23 Jan 2013, 00:12

Probably worth noting that Hobby Boss also do one, although I understand there are some shape issues.

Revell are relaeasing a brand new tool this year, which I'd be willing to bet will be better, and probably cheaper than the HB kit.
Seamus
Seamus

Back to top Go down

Post  scotthldr Wed 23 Jan 2013, 04:49

Wasn't the HobbyBoss kit the GR1 and IDS variants ?
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  Seamus Wed 23 Jan 2013, 06:46

So it is! Every build I've seen of it has been finished as a GR.4, so naturally I assumed.... scratch

Obviously then, you'd still need to add a few aftermarket bits and pieces to finish that as GR.4. I'd also guess that Revell will release their new tool as an IDS, with a GR.4 coming later, if indeed they are planning on releasing a GR.4 at all...

Strange that the GR.4 is completely unkitted, given it's relative importance and popularity. Airfix would be the ideal candidate to do it properly I'd have thought....
Seamus
Seamus

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan214sqn Wed 23 Jan 2013, 08:14

thanks guys, looks like im going to have to hope and wait for someone to tool a GR4

I have purchased some decal sheets in 1:48 if the 41sqn special tails, so was hoping to do the pair

fingers crossed
Dan214sqn
Dan214sqn

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesv9820 Thu 07 Feb 2013, 09:25

Apologies for not being on the forum for a long time. Just been busy with other things

I just was looking at this thread and wanted to put my two pen'eth in.

Accuracy wise, the Italeri currently is the best value option, depending on what you want to do with it. If you want to drop the flaps and slats you have a major issue as the only resin add on as you well know, is Paragon; these are like rocking horse poo to find (although I have a set)

Some guys have mentioned the Hobbyboss one - I have a number of these kits and tobe honest for an out of the box option, they are not too bad. I think the fit uissue sorrounds the front cockpit section being too small but this can be filled;the canopy being the wrong depth (is this an issue if it was raised?) and the intakes being a little too large, but with minor surgery it can be fixed.

Airfix. Dont bother with it!

I have a HB kit in the shed if you wanted to see some sprue shots if this will help?

jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down