SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vlad's Schmidfire

+2
Abhorsen
jamesv9820
6 posters

Go down

Vlad's Schmidfire Empty Vlad's Schmidfire

Post  jamesv9820 Wed 24 Oct 2012, 06:32

Thanks for all the saw reccomendation, lack of time meant i went to my LHS and bought an exacto - did the job fine.

So lets have a few pics of my butchery shall we? First a bit of a comparison

Vlad's Schmidfire 097

The more eagle eyed among you will notice that the 109 is a Gustav - first one i got my hands on - and not an Emil which has the cleaner shape.

Vlad's Schmidfire 104 and now after a bit of sawing

Vlad's Schmidfire 108 Hmmn...might need a bit more sawing......

....might have slightly overdone it with the sawing....Vlad's Schmidfire 110Vlad's Schmidfire 109

Vlad's Schmidfire 113 and this is where i'm up to. I forsee a bit of filler in my future Laughing
I have to say i am extremely enjoying this - there is something strangely satisfying about sawing a model up! I'm sure TC2324 knows what i mean Twisted Evil

A small amount a of progress today.

I had to fasten the 109 front end to the spit fuselage and i didn't think to buy some plasticard so i had a rumage aroung the recycling bin and i found this Vlad's Schmidfire 0023 Its a listerine bottle. Nice firm yet flexible plastic, if you look closely you can see i have glued a piece inside the spit Vlad's Schmidfire 0033 If anyone knows of any probs glueing this type of plastic now would be a great time to tell me Laughing

Vlad's Schmidfire 0013

I have put the two halves together for look at the fit and decided i wasn't happy with verical join of the two edges so i have done it again and left them to dry. I spent the rest of the afternoon doing other jobs, dullcoat on my Japanese Shinjen, the invader stripes on the underside of the typhoon and the horizontal stabilisers on the Messerspit. I also glues the wings together and the U/C. Hopefully i,ll get to do some filling and a coat of primer sometime this week.

So while things were drying i had a thought about what to do the leftovers......Vlad's Schmidfire 0052....Schmidfire anyone.....?? Twisted Evil

jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

Vlad's Schmidfire Empty Re: Vlad's Schmidfire

Post  Abhorsen Mon 29 Oct 2012, 23:24

Wow mate, this is something that you don't see everyday!

Great start. I'm looking forward to the next update.

Ab

Abhorsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Wed 31 Oct 2012, 13:46

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Very Happy

Have got the wings on - i seem to have a huge gap between the top of the wings and the fuselage - were these old airfix kits always like this?Vlad's Schmidfire 290 Theres is also a bit of filler where the 109's nose joins up too.

I managed to hack off the 109's radiator cowling in trying to get it to fit so have bodged one from the spit leftovers Vlad's Schmidfire 291 bit out of focus that one - must remember to use the macro setting next time.

Vlad's Schmidfire 292 got some undercoat on it - painting realy showed up my sanding so had to have another go at it - its still not perfect but i'm hoping more paint will sort it out

Vlad's Schmidfire 293

Have useed Tamiya flat white for undercoat, i intend to spray the undersides that lovely bright yellow the Luftwaffe were so fond off so thought a light undercoat might be better. I plan on a couple of shades of grey for the uppers, i have some RAF light sea grey but will have to go out and get a darker grey to go with it Wink
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Mon 05 Nov 2012, 22:49

Got some yellow on it [/img]https://2img.net/h/i93.photobucket.com/albums/l67/kinghelfer/0014.jpg[/img][/img Vlad's Schmidfire 0024

Then masked the yellow up for the darker uppers. I am using Lifecolor RLM 75

Vlad's Schmidfire 0044

Vlad's Schmidfire 0034

It was at this point that my cheap gravity fed airbrush started to play up, so decided to have a go with the (also cheap )dual action airbrush and ballsed up the darker RLM 74 camoflage that i wanted to put over the grey. Its my own fault i should have practised with it first and the end result was too much paint. Sad I decided then that the Lufty boys might have hastily tried to cover up the RAF camo with the grey so made a couple of quick passes and managed to make it look like a hasty repaint. Vlad's Schmidfire 0063
Its not showing up to well in this pic but believe me - it was a hasty repaint!

So this is where i am up to now

Vlad's Schmidfire 0072

Need to do some touching up with the yellow where the grey ran under the masking tape then a coat of floor polish and some decals. Hope fully the finished pics should show up the cammo showing under the grey better. Wink [img][img]]
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Sun 11 Nov 2012, 12:27

Got some decals on now Vlad's Schmidfire 0082

Vlad's Schmidfire 0092

Vlad's Schmidfire 0102

Vlad's Schmidfire 0113

I decided to use the airfix decals that came with the BF 109 and i think they look OK. They were very thin and folded over easily and i'm not happy with the upper wing crosses but I think i can live with them.
Still a few things left to do yet. I need to repaint the canopy frames as they don't have enough paint on and it needs glueing on. The aerial mast needs to go on and i have to decide whether to add the guns.
Then a decent dirt wash and some exhaust staining Very Happy
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesv9820 Sun 11 Nov 2012, 21:40

Looking good VLad. Nice to see something different being made. Look forward to seeing I completed.
jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Tue 13 Nov 2012, 00:04

Thanks james Smile I have ordered some of the flory washes as i can't seem to get on with the Lifecolor ones i have - they are too hard to remove if you overdo it Surprised good job i tried them out on a practice model first. I braved the local shopping centre yesterday and got some pastels from hobbycraft for the exhaust staining but i'm going to apply the wash first when it arrives.
I have since bought the fusion nose modification that started all this and a Tamiya Spit to use it on but i want to use up the leftovers from this one first - so coming soon - The SPITERMESS!!! affraid Twisted Evil
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Abhorsen Wed 14 Nov 2012, 06:23

Wow. One minute you're putting paint on, teh next it's practically finished!

Looking good and a really interesting build.

Ab

Abhorsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Fri 16 Nov 2012, 23:26

Time to grubby things up then!
Vlad's Schmidfire 0054
The canopy is removed to repaint and i applied a generous amount of the Flory dark dirt wash

Vlad's Schmidfire 0064

There is also quite a bit of pastel shading along the wing roots thats not showing up well. Note to self: You cant apply pastel shading over a gloss finish like future/floor polish Embarassed I wondered what was going wrong after a couple of minutes of it sliding off!

Luckily (or not-you decide) the pastels went on better on the undersides. This model is certainly showing up my shortfalls (and its a great learning process i am enjoying) as it sems not enough floor polish was on the undersides then!
Vlad's Schmidfire 0073

I have decided to add the cannons and they are drying off. I think it would look better with a couple of swazzies on the tail, so i will have to have a look for those. I have in mind a repaint of an Fw190 in RAF colours as the Corgi one i have just doesn't sit right on the landing gear, i miight buy one off t'bay and use the swazzies from that if i can find one.

Done some more work on the Spitmess leftovers

Vlad's Schmidfire 0093

I might give it its own build thread ! Very Happy Vlad's Schmidfire 0083
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  tc2324 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 00:16

Loving the Spitmess... Very Happy
tc2324
tc2324

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesv9820 Sat 17 Nov 2012, 06:33

Great process so far.

Just remember that you apply wash on a hi gloss surface as the decals. Then apply the matt varnish and then pastel. The process will not work unless you do this.
jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

Post  scotthldr Sat 17 Nov 2012, 10:51

For a first attempt at a "cut and shut" you've done a pretty good job on the mating of the engine block to the fuselage.

Keep up the good work on the 'Spitmess'
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Sun 18 Nov 2012, 03:03

jamesv9820 wrote:Great process so far.

Just remember that you apply wash on a hi gloss surface as the decals. Then apply the matt varnish and then pastel. The process will not work unless you do this.

Believe it or not quite a bit of the pastel adhered to the so called gloss finish! More of a testament to how much i applied than anything else i think clown

I have got some paint on the Spitmess - pics to follow - when the camo job is complete i will give it a coat of matt varnish and try again with the pastels Idea
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Tue 20 Nov 2012, 23:39

A few progress pics
Vlad's Schmidfire 0065

Vlad's Schmidfire 0084

Vlad's Schmidfire 0074

Have put a couple of xtradecals swazzies on the tail of the scmitdfire and added the cannon and antenna mast. Just a light coat of matt varnish now and i think that'll be it.
The spitmess has had RAF light grey applied underneath, then RAF blue uppers and post it note cammo masks then the RAF green. Wheels and exhaust stubs next then some pastel weathering etc Wink
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Sun 25 Nov 2012, 21:19

Right then - heres where things are at the moment Vlad's Schmidfire 0045

Prop is yellow tacked on, wheels on (second go)after realising that one leg hadn't located in the hole properly and made the model sit very strangelyindeed Shocked

Vlad's Schmidfire 0055
Not sure if it shows on this pic but have done some exhaust staining

Vlad's Schmidfire 0066
I covered the big hole left underneath by me ham fistedly hacking off the 109's nose, Embarassed with the tropical filter option that came with the Spit

Vlad's Schmidfire 0075
I can't help thinking its given it a bit of a Hurricane look, clown anyway all over bar the shouting, it now has a coat of floor polish to apply the decals and the panel line wash Very Happy
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlaker Tue 27 Nov 2012, 05:38

Blimey! It is as though you have been delving into the recesses of my mind! I have a captured Vb to do at some stage with conversion DB605... Nice one!
mattlaker
mattlaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Tue 27 Nov 2012, 08:29

mattlaker wrote:Blimey! It is as though you have been delving into the recesses of my mind! I have a captured Vb to do at some stage with conversion DB605... Nice one!

Thanks matt, I also have that conversion bought while doing this, although I have been looking at airfix dogfight doubles of the spit and the ME110 to try it that way. I also have a Stuka/Sturmovick hybrid in mind ;-)
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  mattlaker Tue 27 Nov 2012, 09:06

Vlad the Inhaler wrote:
mattlaker wrote:Blimey! It is as though you have been delving into the recesses of my mind! I have a captured Vb to do at some stage with conversion DB605... Nice one!

Thanks matt, I also have that conversion bought while doing this, although I have been looking at airfix dogfight doubles of the spit and the ME110 to try it that way. I also have a Stuka/Sturmovick hybrid in mind ;-)

Now that I want to see! Smile
mattlaker
mattlaker

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Sat 01 Dec 2012, 00:22

mattlaker wrote:
Vlad the Inhaler wrote:

Now that I want to see! Smile

Well they are both fairly similar looking, i am giving it some thought as to which bits to swop around - most likely the wings and the U/C What a Face
Schmitfire and Spitmess pics now in the gallery, thanks to everyone for their advice and comments Wink
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum