SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Working with Resin

3 posters

Go down

Working with Resin Empty Working with Resin

Post  NickThompson Sun 21 Oct 2012, 03:51

I have never used resin parts mainly because of the health concerns I have read about the dust particles that are given off by it, so what advice would you give when using resin?

NickThompson

Back to top Go down

Working with Resin Empty Re: Working with Resin

Post  scotthldr Sun 21 Oct 2012, 06:21

I wouldn't worry too much on the horror stories that you read or hear, most of them have grown arms and legs.

Use a bit of common sense, don't breath it in large quantities and don't eat it and you'll be fine. Wear a disposable face mask if you wish if you're working with it in great quantities. I wouldn't bother about using a well ventilated room or extract as this will only make the dust airborne and will pose a greater problem. The one thing I do is to dampen down my modelling board so any dust that falls will stick to the board rather than float around, you could use a towel soaked in water then wrung out instead.

You're more likely to slice your fingers with the razor saw before the dust does you any harm.

A bit of reading here http://www.ehow.com/info_8306336_dangers-polyurethane-resin-dust.html
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  Craig Sat 27 Oct 2012, 04:26

As has been said, plenty of people in the modelling world warn of its dangers, yet curiously even after extensive trawling of the web I've never found anything to suggest it's of any serious risk. Certainly the technology teacher at work was unconcerned by it. What I do do though is if I'm sanding it rather than cutting when there's going to be more and finer dust I run the sink in the bathroom and sand it underwater. Rinse the sink after and job done, no dust at all.

Craig

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum