SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Please take 5 mins to register your details in order to enjoy the full benefits of SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
SPLASH ONE MODELLING.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So just how hard do you think it would be?

4 posters

Go down

So just how hard do you think it would be? Empty So just how hard do you think it would be?

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Sun 07 Oct 2012, 05:15

Plane Crazy are offering this code 3 So just how hard do you think it would be? CAPTUREDSPITVdb605_9 So just how hard do you think it would be? CAPTUREDSPITVdb605_8

So i had a look around t'internet and found that its this conversion http://www.dp9.com/fusion/KitPages/4801.htm with a build review here http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/wolf-in-sheeps-clothing-modelling-captured-db605-powered-spitfire.html

Now i am not one to deny a bloke a chance to make a living but how hard would it be if you were to buy a mark Vb spitfire model an BF109G model and splice the two together...?

*Sits back and waits for Mr Whif*
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

So just how hard do you think it would be? Empty Re: So just how hard do you think it would be?

Post  jamesv9820 Sun 07 Oct 2012, 08:50

is it just not the nose off a BF109?

if it is - it will be easy (mind you i think most things are easy arpat from a certain resin T5 lightning conversion I did earlier this year in 32nd scale!)
jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

So just how hard do you think it would be? Empty Re: So just how hard do you think it would be?

Post  scotthldr Mon 08 Oct 2012, 04:12

Doesn't look much in it at all to be perfectly honest, and the price seems to be in line with other resin sets of the same detail, how much are you for a 1/48 Me109 on it's own?

At least this resin set is engineered around the Tamiya Spit which should at least guarantee some level of correct fitment.
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Mon 08 Oct 2012, 06:44

I have one of thes that i got of ebay for about 9 quid and planned on doing as the Jap version but i don't know if i want to cut the nose off.
So just how hard do you think it would be? 001

I might see if i can get a spit and a BF109 in 1/72 to try it out and see how it goes before i cut up the other one.
Looking at the build review its not a simple cut straight through the fuselage but forwards along the wings too [/img]http://spitfiresite.com/uploaded_images/db605_3.jpg[/img]

I think getting a clean cut will be difficult, any ideas on the best way to cut a decent straight line?
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  tc2324 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 09:29

Vlad the Inhaler wrote:

Repyling not as Mr Whif, (as this aircraft did exist), but I will reply as Mr Diecast... Laughing

If it were up to me I`d kitbash the plastic to create this, but this is 1/72 Diecast, (not 1/48 as in the links), and marketed to collectors who have no wish to make/convert models, just buy and display them. Add to the fact that only, IIRC, 25 are being made, this makes it a rare bit of `metal` and a great investment for the future. For this reason alone Tiger Hobbies can ask for that price because I can tell you now, they will all sell. Wink
tc2324
tc2324

Back to top Go down

Post  scotthldr Mon 08 Oct 2012, 17:46

tc2324 wrote:
Vlad the Inhaler wrote:

Repyling not as Mr Whif, (as this aircraft did exist), but I will reply as Mr Diecast... Laughing

If it were up to me I`d kitbash the plastic to create this, but this is 1/72 Diecast, (not 1/48 as in the links), and marketed to collectors who have no wish to make/convert models, just buy and display them. Add to the fact that only, IIRC, 25 are being made, this makes it a rare bit of `metal` and a great investment for the future. For this reason alone Tiger Hobbies can ask for that price because I can tell you now, they will all sell. Wink

Diecast, 1/72 and Tiger Hobbies??

I'm I missing something here as the OP initial question was about the Fusion 1/48 resin conversion?

Vlad, I can guarantee that a quick cut and shut between the Spit fuselage and Me 109 nose will not work easily and will require a large amount of filler and sanding to get the contours right if they will ever look right. The master caster of the Fusion set has already done this for you to make things easier.

From the build review it looks as simple a conversion as you'll find, with two cuts to be made on each fuselage half(one vertical and one horizontally) Getting a straight cut won't be a problem if you use the correct tools and for this I recommend the Zona 500 fine razor saw, which has a hard back and doesn't flex like the Tamiya razor saw.
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/Zona-500-Fine-Kerf-Razor-Saw-86-0940
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  tc2324 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 18:50

scotthldr wrote:
tc2324 wrote:
Vlad the Inhaler wrote:

I'm I missing something here as the OP initial question was about the Fusion 1/48 resin conversion?

Vlad, I can guarantee that a quick cut and shut between the Spit fuselage and Me 109 nose will not work easily and will require a large amount of filler and sanding to get the contours right if they will ever look right. The master caster of the Fusion set has already done this for you to make things easier.

From the build review it looks as simple a conversion as you'll find, with two cuts to be made on each fuselage half(one vertical and one horizontally) Getting a straight cut won't be a problem if you use the correct tools and for this I recommend the Zona 500 fine razor saw, which has a hard back and doesn't flex like the Tamiya razor saw.

Sorry Scott, my bad, it is Plane Crazy and not Mr Tiger, Embarassed (they both do code 3 Corgi`s, Hobbymaster, etc), but the Spit is metal and will be in 1/72. Wink

More info here.....

http://forums.diecast-aviation.eu/showthread.php?t=19126
tc2324
tc2324

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:00

scotthldr wrote:
tc2324 wrote:
Vlad the Inhaler wrote:

Perhaps I didn't explain that i had originaly seen the diecast model available as a limited edition elsewhere. When i looked into the conversion i thought that was how it was going to be done, in plastic and not in diecast. If its realy going to be done in diecast then it sounds like a lot of work for the man doing the conversion and i really wouldn't blame him for wanting to be paid a fair price for his work.
Being a bit of a cheapskate i am looking at having a go at this in plastic, not thinking for a moment that the results would be as good as the code 3 on offer from planecrazy.
Thats a good link for the saw,I didnt know tamiya did one either but suspect that Mr whif tc2324 already has a few.. Wink

Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  scotthldr Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:31

This thread has got confusing?

From the above links posted, Fusion Models do the Daimler Benz engine conversion in resin for the plastic Tamiya Spitfire V in 1/48.
http://www.dp9.com/fusion/KitPages/4801.htm
http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/wolf-in-sheeps-clothing-modelling-captured-db605-powered-spitfire.html

and

Code 3 do the exact same aircraft in 1/72 and diecast form(scroll down)
http://www.planecrazy.biz/info/news.php

Hope that clarifies the matter.

scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesv9820 Mon 08 Oct 2012, 23:37

You've lost me!

Mind you getting me confused does not take much!
jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Tue 09 Oct 2012, 00:01

Its my fault - i honestly didn't think it was being offered in Diecast, nothing in the post said it was other than the implication that planecrazy do diecast code 3's and it was posted on a diecast forum. After finding the resin conversion i assumed thats how it was being done.Good job not everyone is a lazy as me then!
Anyway - who fancies making one....? Smile
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesv9820 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 00:04

Not really my bag to be honest Vlad - it has got no Jet engine!!!
jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

Post  scotthldr Tue 09 Oct 2012, 00:35

Vlad the Inhaler wrote: Anyway - who fancies making one....? Smile

Since you started the topic, I think that honor should fall to you Laughing
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  tc2324 Tue 09 Oct 2012, 02:29

scotthldr wrote:This thread has got confusing?

From the above links posted, Fusion Models do the Daimler Benz engine conversion in resin for the plastic Tamiya Spitfire V in 1/48.
http://www.dp9.com/fusion/KitPages/4801.htm
http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/wolf-in-sheeps-clothing-modelling-captured-db605-powered-spitfire.html

and

Code 3 do the exact same aircraft in 1/72 and diecast form(scroll down)
http://www.planecrazy.biz/info/news.php

Hope that clarifies the matter.

Just to chip in again and point out that in this case the term `Code 3` just means that an existing diecast model release has been changed by an individual either by adding on something or changing the markings.

IIRC I do think that there is a company called Code 3, but they have nothing to do with Plane Crazy
(Apologies if thats already now become obvious)

Picture below is an example of a Code 3 I did, all be it rather badly.

At the back is the 74 Sqn Spitfire that Corgi released back in 2000 and in front is another of the same model after I had removed the decals, applied early war 74 Sqn markings and then just touched up the paint work.

So just how hard do you think it would be? 034-5

Vlad, I think it would be a great project if you choose to do it.

tc2324
tc2324

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Tue 09 Oct 2012, 11:50

Right then, i think that i'd like to have a go at this on with a couple of 1/72 models and kitbash them as TC2324 calls it and if i feel comfortable after all that i'll see about ordering the resin kit and start looking for a spit donor kit clown *dashes off to ebay*
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  scotthldr Wed 10 Oct 2012, 02:49

I think you'd be better just going for the Fusion conversion and Tamiya kit from the outset. They are both engineered for one another and will probably be a lot less hassle(more expensive though) than kit bashing two kits together.

Look forward to seeing what happens either way.
scotthldr
scotthldr

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Wed 10 Oct 2012, 23:35

scotthldr wrote:I think you'd be better just going for the Fusion conversion and Tamiya kit from the outset. They are both engineered for one another and will probably be a lot less hassle(more expensive though) than kit bashing two kits together.

Look forward to seeing what happens either way.

I don't doubt your right scott but i am at that stage in my life where i want to have a go at things - as silly as that sounds - but i will draw the line at morris dancing.... Twisted Evil Here is another link to this build i have found while researching it http://hsfeatures.com/messerspitrj_1.htm
I am looking at the 1/72 models on ebay and i think the 109F has the nearest clean shape to the conversion . It says in the link that the original aircraft used a cowling from an Me110 engine. If i am happy with my plastic butchery i may think about replicating things on a couple of cheap diecasts i have knocking around but thats well into the future. I have an airfix dogfight double kit on the watch list along with a couple of other likely candidates .
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Sat 13 Oct 2012, 20:28

My 99p 1/72 BF109G front end donor arrived today. I had almost forgotten how small these things are..... Surprised Hopefully the Spit will turn up next week Wink
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad the Inhaler Thu 18 Oct 2012, 23:16

Spit has turned up, hopefully i will have time at the weekend to get the two fuselages together and decide on the surgery. I can't help thinking that as its 1/72 anything i use to do the cutting will be taking a large chunk out of the plastic just by cutting alone and that will have to be taken into account.
Vlad the Inhaler
Vlad the Inhaler

Back to top Go down

Post  jamesv9820 Fri 19 Oct 2012, 00:18

have you seen these?

RB Productions
jamesv9820
jamesv9820

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum